Wednesday, June 15, 2016

My water (bottle) broke

So I promised you a funny story from a recent doctor appointment. Here it is.

My doctor's nurse is pregnant and exactly two weeks behind me (for those paying close attention, that makes her baby due the same day as my baby brother's baby!). At our appointment two weeks ago, she was training a new person to fill in while she's out on maternity leave; I'm pretty sure it was her first day.

She got my vitals and led us into the exam room. I've always got a water bottle with me, and unfortunately, the lid to my favorite bottle has started to fail, and it opened while we walked down the hall. I realized it as we entered the exam room, and I said to her, "Oh, watch your step, my water just leaked."

I didn't think anything of it until I set my bag down and saw her stricken face. Apparently, "my water just leaked" is not a thing a 36-weeks-pregnant woman should say to her nurse on the nurse's first day on the job. I hurried to explain what I meant, though it was somewhat more difficult as I was laughing so hard I was in tears.

Kevin and I were still cleaning up the water (which had pooled in the bottom of my purse), when Dr. K, his regular nurse, and the new nurse came in, all still laughing about the scare I gave the poor nurse.

And maybe I had difficulty keeping a straight face last week when I saw her again.

No comments:

Post a Comment