Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Finn Caleb is here!

We are so in love. We are so tired. We are so amazed by this tiny human we created. We are parents!


 
Finn was in no hurry to come out, and I spent over 24 hours in labor, but he was a trooper. He was 7lb, 7 oz and 21 inches long at birth, and he's already putting back on the weight he lost in the first two days. He has a little bit of jaundice, but the pediatrician wasn't concerned about it at our first visit this morning and said it should begin to ease by tomorrow. He's a fantastic eater; his little cleft lip has posed no problems for him. He has more hair than his mom, though I will point out how much mine is growing in and that it's starting to get (relatively) long. It's also super soft.

I had some difficulties after he was born and ended up needing two units of blood the following day, but it has helped me feel much better. I was a regular blood donor up until pregnancy, but I never thought I'd be on the receiving end. Kevin made his next appointment to donate platelets before we even left the hospital; he'll go in on Thursday. If you're interested in donating, you can schedule an appointment online. I'll have a minimum of 12 months deferral once I finish treatment, but for as long as they'll take my blood, they can have it. Also, hopefully, the federal regulations surrounding eligibility of LGBT people will soon catch up with the reality of the lack of risk posed.

We will write more about him and our experience so far, but my brain and my body are too tired right now, and I'm going to try to get some sleep before Finn wakes up and is ready for playtime...from about 11pm until 3am.

No comments:

Post a Comment