Saturday, May 7, 2016

My last Friday off til the end of chemo

A thing I never thought I'd say I'd accomplished: Shaving my own head. But I've done it twice now. Kevin shaved it for me the first couple of times, but then he was busy another night when I wanted to shave it, so I decided to give it a shot. And I did it, with only one little nick around my soft spot. Today, I shaved it again, and no nicks! Yay me!

My last round of chemo was pretty rough. I had a lot more flu-type achyness and even some of the Neulasta bone pain I'd heard about but been able to avoid for my first three rounds. Exhaustion seems be working on becoming a permanent characteristic, but honestly, I have no way of knowing how much of that is the cumulative effect of the chemo and how much is the cumulative effect of eight months of growing a tiny human. Regardless, I ended up having to leave work on Monday because I simply could not function. I slept for about four hours when I got home before Kevin and I went to our first infant care class, and I went directly to bed when we got home from there. I'm so happy to be done with the A-C and Neulasta. Fingers crossed, prayers made that it's my last dose ever of those drugs.

But eight months! I hit 32 weeks on Friday, which puts me in my 8th month. Since math is hard, it means we have 7 weeks until we get to meet Baby Brotzman. We've still got a good bit to do to get ready, but we're getting there.

Last night, we had tickets to the baseball game. We debated whether we even wanted to brave the weather (OK, I debated whether to brave the weather; Kevin was up for it despite the gross cold rain), and decided to give it a shot. The postponement was announced as we pulled into the parking area (the second time that's happened to us in the past two seasons), so we went back home and started on the assembly of Baby's new dresser. Oh, IKEA, I suppose I haven't hated you before because I've never bought a dresser from you. We got about two hours in before giving up for the night. So many pieces. So many pages of directions with no words to help. So much aggravation.

We had our second baby shower today, a virtual one courtesy of my family in North Carolina.  Caren hosted it for us and invited family and friends over. Kevin and I weren't able to travel there for it, so we Skyped in to enjoy the festivities. Robby and Jordan also joined in through Skype. It was nice to see everyone, even if it was only through the iPad, and once again, we were showered with love and gifts for Baby Brotzman,. I'm constantly overwhelmed at the generosity of others. We are so fortunate.

Tonight, we'll celebrate our friend Molly for her birthday with a delicious dinner at The Melting Pot. Tomorrow, I get to go to the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival, which is one of my favorite happy places. Sheeps! and Wools! Whoohoo

No comments:

Post a Comment