Saturday, March 19, 2016

A Weekend with Mom. Or: Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

My mom drove up last night to spend the weekend with me. It’s really nice to have her here. I woke up at 4:40 this morning with a sore shoulder from sleeping funny; it happens often now that I’m supposed to be sleeping on my side, and I’ve been a back or stomach sleeper my entire life. I never did get back to sleep, so I took a nice nap on the couch this afternoon with Kevin, the dog, and one of the kitties.

I had an appointment with a wig shop this morning at 10. Mom and Kevin and I met my mother-in-law and sister-in-law at the shop, where the woman had me try on several spectacularly wrong-for-me wigs before she found one that was long enough to pull back and looked much more like the wash-and-go hairstyle that I already have. This wig had a bit of wave to it, but it wasn’t curly and it had highlights, so it still looked a bit different. She said she saw one in a catalogue earlier this week that she thinks will be exactly right for me; it’s a similar style to the wig I still had on my head, but it was curly. She said they should be able to match my color, curl shape, and texture quite closely, and they’ll have it in next weekend. That will be just in time for me to shave my head to prepare for it falling out on its own. My oncologist had said, “We urge people to take control of losing their hair, so it doesn’t control them”. Seems reasonable.

So here’s what I’ve been thinking. I’m going to lose my hair anyway, so maybe I can raise some money for cancer research before that happens. St. Baldrick’s Foundation raises money for childhood cancer research, and I can’t think of a better cause to raise money for (unless you want to donate to Bernie Sanders’ campaign. I already knew we needed better healthcare in this county; my medical bills this year will bring it far closer to home that I would like. And we’re far better off than millions of people in this country).

So this weekend, before Saturday morning, in fact, I’m going to buzz my head. It’s just long enough, I hope, that if I can buzz it off in one ponytail, it’ll be long enough to donate for use in a wig for someone else. It’s a win-win.

So will you donate? Lots of people have asked what they can do for us; this is something that would mean a lot to me.

Also, help us rent that damn rowhouse.

Also on Saturday, delicious dinner at Bill Bateman’s Bistro, and I won best dish, even though I could hardly put a dent in my shrimp and sausage mac & cheese after enjoying my share of the crab pretzel appetizer. That just means more leftovers. I really wanted to have some of my mother’s toasted almond cocktail. Maybe I’d have taken a sip if I hadn’t already had so many nasty chemicals pumped into my body in the last 36 hours.

What I put on Facebook:

Thank you everyone for the kind words, well wishes, offers of assistance, and prayers. It’s still somewhat surreal at times, but we’re taking it one day at a time and getting through it all. Chemo definitely wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be; in fact, I’ve been feeling quite good. I do realize that isn’t likely to last, so I’ll enjoy it while I can.

Many people have asked what we need and how they can help. I have a suggestion. Since I’m going to lose my hair from the chemo within the next 12 days, I have decided to take some control over it and go ahead and shave it off on Friday. But I figured out a way to make it more tolerable.

I am partnering with the St. Baldrick’s Foundation, an organization that raises money for childhood cancer research by hosting head shaving events. People pledge money to St. Baldrick’s, I shave my head (and hopefully have enough length to donate my hair for a wig), and then maybe losing my hair won’t be quite as crappy. Good plan, huh?

https://www.stbaldricks.org/participants/mypage/859023/2016

No comments:

Post a Comment