Thursday, November 24, 2016

Thanksgiving

Kevin is quite fond of talking about how much 2016 has sucked, with the obvious and amazing exception of this amazing kid:
photo credit goes to my mom
Thanks to my mom for the amazing picture.

He's right. There's been so much bad this year. So much loss, so much pain, so many challenges. But a few weeks ago, my mother-in-law said something that strikes me just as hard today as it did then, a reframe that eases my heart and gives me hope for the future:

We just need to remember as 2016 the year you beat cancer, rather than just the year you had it.

Debbie is a very smart lady, even if I do beat her in Phase 10 a lot.

I beat cancer. I made and grew and delivered a healthy baby boy who has captured my heart in ways I didn't know were possible.

How I feel when I look at Finn. Also: otters and puns.

I was  am constantly overwhelmed by the love, generosity, and support of people we know and people we don't know. I didn't just survive, I thrived. And I'm thankful for the opportunity to continue to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment